Structural Geology Guidelines for use in Burst-prone Underground Mines Short Course
Is your project or mine in a structurally complex, high stress, potentially rock burst-prone setting?
CEMI is pleased to join Golder Associates and SRK Consulting in hosting a 2-day Structural Geology Guidelines for use in Burst-Prone Underground Mines short course in October 2012. Course Poster
Two chances for you to take advantage of this opportunity!
October 15-16, 2012
08:00 – 17:00
Willet Green Miller Centre – Auditorium
933 Ramsey Lake Road, Sudbury, Ontario
October 18-19, 2012
08:00 – 17:00
Location: Downtown Toronto – more details to follow
The course will be comprised of technical presentations and hands-on practical sessions focused on providing attendees with an awareness of: the risks posed in burst-prone mines; the structural geology and other geotechnical aspects to pay attention to and measure in drill core and in drift mapping; and the tools to use to optimize design and response effectiveness during project/mine design, development and operation.
Specific sessions will include:
- An overview of the mine system, rock mass behaviour, and the coupled structural geology rock mechanics approach;
- A detailed review of the importance of relevant structural geology parameters at the regional and local scale and the case for careful observation and analysis;
- A discussion, with examples provided, of drill hole and drift mapping structural and other geotechnical data collection techniques and tools used, including data analysis;
- A practical consideration of the importance of stress and geologic structure interactions in burst-prone underground mines; and
- Consideration of how to practically integrate stress and structural geology as well as other geotechnical measurements when evaluating the implications for mine design and stope sequencing.
The sessions will be supplemented with practical hands-on opportunities to learn about and use appropriate techniques and tools.
In April 2012, a technical overview workshop was held as a pre-curser to this short course. Video recordings of that half-day session can be viewed online.
Trevor Carter, Ph.D, P.Eng., Principal, Golder Associates
Wayne Barnett, Ph.D, Pr.Sci.Nat, Principal Structural Geologist, SRK Consulting
James Siddorn, Ph.D, P.Geo., Practice Leader (Structural Geology), SRK Consulting
Rob Bewick, P.Eng., CEMI Program Coordinator, Rio Tinto Centre for Underground Mine Construction
Benoit Valley, Ph.D, Senior Researcher, CEMI and Geomechanics Research Centre, MIRARCO
Regular: $950 CAD
Student: $250 CAD (limited space)
Plus 13% HST
Includes meals (continental breakfast, snacks, lunch) and course materials.
Deadline to register is September 28, 2012. Seating is limited! Register and send your completed Sudbury Registration Form Toronto Registration Form to Krystle Vendette email@example.com or Fax to 705.671.3878 ATTN: Krystle Vendette.
For further details, please contact Krystle Vendette firstname.lastname@example.org or call 705.673.6568 x 0
Parking for the Sudbury course will be available in the Visitor’s lot (limited) of the Willet Green Miller Centre (free). Additional parking will be available in the Fraser parking lot across from the Willet Green Miller Centre (paid).