Reduce the time and cost of final mine closure and offer multiple future land-use options.
Demonstrate to the commercial pilot level a custom and holistic mine tailings reclamation approach on a significant site.
Engage a suite of current yet cutting edge customized technologies to reprocess tails (capture locked-in value), remove contaminants and re-purpose sites.
- Converting waste into concentrate and a less hazardous by-product.
- Obtain metal value credits to offset remediation costs.
- Reduce levels of metal contamination available to the environment.
- Capture value materials for processing in an environmentally responsible way.
- Making tailings environmentally benign.
- Lessens impediments to the re-establishment of flora & fauna.
- Lower or eliminate long term closure liability.
- Enables desirable end uses of tailing sites.
- Multiple new options for stakeholders.
- Re-vegetation for dust control.
- Businesses opportunities from reforestation or agriculture.
- Improves social license to operate.
CHALLENGES TO DATE:
Why has this not been done to date?
- Reprocessing previously processed minerals coupled with weathering presented technical hurdles.
- Few relevant field-scale examples.
HOW TO GET INVOLVED:
- Identify a tailings site
- Understand the minerology of the site
- Initiate a bench scale validation project
- Create a field demonstration project
For more information, please contact CEMI via: